In order to get what you want, you must be able to talk to people in a way that helps them want to listen. How you say something , or your style of communication, is very important. Assertiveness is the best way to communicate without being aggressive or passive.
You are assertive when you:
- Stand up for what is best for you
- Make sure other people understand what you need or want
- Openly and honestly express your ideas and feelings
- Respect other people’s rights and ideas
- Listen to other people
When you are assertive:
- You stand tall
- You look people in the eye
- You speak clearly
- You listen with interest
After being assertive, you feel good because:
- You feel honest and respected
- You feel proud
When you are assertive, other people see you as:
- An adult
- Able to do things
- Able to make decisions
Being assertive is a good way to communicate.
[rescue_box color=”green” text_align=”left” width=”100%” float=”none”]RETURN TO YOUTH LEADERSHIP >[/rescue_box]
Adapted from University of Alaska Anchorage, Lesson Plans for Teaching Self-Determination, p. 24-27. This page has been adapted from “The Assertiveness Program” Washington: People First of Washington, 1983, pp. 2-5.