On Tuesday, June 11, 2019, Gov. Greg Abbott signed into law House Bill 3, a groundbreaking and innovative piece of legislation that brings transformative change to public education in Texas.
In order to provide timely information to school districts regarding the new requirements in the law, the Texas Education Agency (TEA) has created a new website which can be found at https://tea.texas.gov/HB3/.
Additionally, TEA has launched a new web video series, “HB3 in 30.” Each video will feature, in roughly 30 minutes, an overview and detailed explanation of a specific provision in House Bill 3, as well as information on how TEA is working to implement applicable changes to public education required by this new legislation. Videos will be released every Thursday and will be accompanied by supporting documents available for download.
The first video in the series, an overview of Budget Planning for Teacher Compensation, is scheduled for release on Thursday, June 26.
A full schedule of weekly release dates, a summary of HB3, frequently asked questions, and implementation guidance for school districts can be found on the TEA House Bill 3 information site.
HB3 contains major reforms to public education including:
- Support for teachers and rewards for teacher excellence;
- A focus on learning and student outcomes by:
- Prioritizing early literacy;
- Improving college, career and military readiness;
- Increasing support for special education; and
- Expanding learning opportunities
- Increases in funding and equity; and
- Reductions and reforms to property taxes.
If you have specific questions about the bill, please email the TEA at HB3info@tea.texas.gov.